1910 - 1920 better streets cars
"When the first street cars rolled along the streets of Green Bay in 1894, they were very similar in appearance to the one shown in this print, except that the vestibule at both ends was entirely open, and the motorman doubled as fare collector. The fare was 5 cents, but at the rate of six for 25 cents, you could purchase red plastic tokens, about the size of a five cent coin, each good for one ride. Between 1910 and 1915, traffic increased to a point that justified a two-man crew for each car. But by 1920, increased costs and the introduction of the automobile into the picture, and the street cars returned to a one man operation, with improved cars, notable the little "birney type" these had electric heaters - (the old ones had ordinary stoves - which the motorman or conductor had to attend) also air brakes, "dead-man" safety shut offs, and other improvements for the convenience & safety of the operator and the riding public. but the once elaborate and satisfactory street-car service continued to decline, and ended completely in November of 1937.