Aerial view of the Fort Howard Military Post prior to its demolition, ca. 1867. Fort Howard was established in 1816 when six companies of the Third U. S. Infantry decided to locate on the west side of the Fox River. The U. S. military chose the site where both a French and an English fort once stood, and what is now the approximate location of Titletown Brewing Company. Fort Howard remained active until the garrison was withdrawn in 1841. Troops returned between 1849 and 1852, and later the Fort was used as a recruiting station early in the Civil War. Eventually the site was sold to the railroad, and by 1869 all of the buildings were raised or removed for other uses elsewhere.