Carving the Spirit of the Northwest
A stonecutter finishes the sculpture of the Spirit of the Northwest while the artist, Sydney Bedore, watches in the foreground, ca. 1930. At the age of 18, Sydney Bedore became interested in modeling clay while working at the Barkhausen brickyard in Green Bay. Over the next ten years he modeled clay in his spare time, and saved money to enroll in the Beaux Arts School in New York City.
In 1921, Bedore began modeling a plaster statue symbolizing the old Northwest territory. Several prominent citizens, including Deborah Martin, Mr. and Mrs. A.C. Neville and Mr.s R.C. Buchanan, became interested in this wrk and funded the model's display at the Neville Public Museum and the Morthern building in Green Bay. Eventually a committee was formed to raise funds for the creation of the statue in Bedford stone and to select a location. The finished piece was unveiled on the Brown County Courthouse lawn on June 10, 1931.