J.S. Johnson & Company
Men stand on the J.S. Johnson dock at the end of North Jefferson Street, Green Bay, ca.1900. In 1886 John. S. Johnson began packing and dealing in wholesale fish at a shop he established at 1243 Main Street. His operation grew and in 1903 Johnson partnered with a ship clerk, Charles W. Huth, to establish the J.S. Johnson and Company. This company eventually acquired a dock and warehouse at the end of North Jefferson Street. By 1907 Huth began his own oysters, fish, and game company with his brother and Johnson created the Johnson-Schiller company with a new partner, Louis G. Schiller. This arrangement failed within four years with Schiller taking control of the business and the Jefferson Street docks and eventually changing the name to the L.G. Schiller Company. In 1914, after working for three years as the secretary, treasurer, and manager of the Green Bay Canning Company Johnson launched the Johnson Fish Company with his two sons at the old Main street location. This business continued in Green Bay until 1991.